[OS X TeX] mpost 0.992 in gwTeX problem

nicola vitacolo at dimi.uniud.it
Mon Dec 11 17:38:46 CET 2006

Hi,
I have updated to the latest (9 dec 06) Gerben Wierda's TeXLive
distribution, which comes with MetaPost 0.992. Compiling the following
source code

verbatimtex
%&latex
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
etex
beginfig(0);
label.top(btex $x$ etex, origin);
endfig;
end;

produces the following error:

$ mpost foo.mp
This is MetaPost, Version 0.992 (Web2C 7.5.5)
(foo.mpmakempx: Command failed: tex --parse-first-line
--interaction=nonstopmode mpxerr.tex; see mpxerr.log

>> foo.mp
>> foo.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.8 label.top(btex
                   $x$ etex, origin);
Transcript written on foo.log.

If I delete the verbatimtex... etex part I can compile without errors. A
similar problem exists if I use TEX.mp with a line similar to

TEXPRE("%&latex" & char(10) & "\documentclass{article}\begin{document}");

My impression is that mpost does not recognize %&latex. Why?

Nicola