[OS X TeX] preferred tool for presentations

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Mon Dec 11 15:22:06 CET 2006

Friedrich Vosberg wrote:
> Morning.
>
> Which tool would you suggest for making presentations? I've never
> before made a presentation, because most presentations are very boring
> and so I gave my lectures without slides. But now I have to make a
> presentation with slides, and there is no way to avoid it.
>
> I took a look at beamer. But it seems a mighty package, not for make
> quickly and dirty a presentation in a few hours.
>
> What would you suggest? I heard about powerdot.
>
> Some pros and cons would be nice.
>
> TIA and kind regards, Friedrich

For showing the presentation, you are most likely going to have to use
Adobe Reader or the newly released PDFView. These provide a full-screen
presentation mode, rare among Mac PDF viewing apps.

I concur with others that Beamer can be picked up quickly, even though
the advanced functions might take some playing with to master. The
documentation is excellent, including a tutorial for making a first
presentation. In the 20 minutes or so that it takes you to read the
tutorial, you will have your outline for the presentation done.

-Adam G.