[OS X TeX] preferred tool for presentations

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Mon Dec 11 09:45:46 CET 2006

On 11-Dec-06, at 2:01 PM, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> Which tool would you suggest for making presentations? I've never
> before made a presentation, because most presentations are very
> boring and so I gave my lectures without slides. But now I have to
> make a presentation with slides, and there is no way to avoid it.
>
> I took a look at beamer. But it seems a mighty package, not for
> make quickly and dirty a presentation in a few hours.
>
> What would you suggest? I heard about powerdot.
>
> Some pros and cons would be nice.
>
> TIA and kind regards, Friedrich
>

> --
> An Apple a day keeps the doc(tor) away.

Hi,

One doesn't need to know too much to use Beamer. Just use somebody
else's file, and change the contents. And it is part of pretty much
any TeX installation, so you do not have any download/install
hassles. If you wish, I can send you the source files for one or two
of my talks. If you do not worry too much about overlays, you do not
even need to look at the manual. Just follow the template and type in
your content. Shouldn't take much time.

You could also try out prosper. But I am not expert enough to tell
you the pros and cons. People told me at some point to switch to
Beamer as it is the latest, and I switched over from prosper. You can
directly use pstricks in prosper, whereas you have to use pgf in
Beamer. I don't know if you are so concerned about figures. Are you?

Anyway, tell me if you want the template files.

Cheers,
Suresh

S P Suresh
Chennai Mathematical Institute