[OS X TeX] Funny behaviour of TeXShop

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Dec 10 22:47:21 CET 2006

I have observed the following behaviours of TeXShop, not a real
nuisance.

1) Problems with Goto Error.

Suppose I want to typeset a file called "main.tex" which calls "input
chap1.tex", and there is an error at line 15 of chap1.tex

The program stops at the error, but pressing on the "Goto Error"
button takes you the line 15 of main.tex, not chap1.tex!

As far as I can say, this happens as well with input as with include,
as well with pdftex as with TeX + Ghostscript

2) Suppose your file contains the following command:

\usepackage[paperwidth=15cm,paperlength=22.5cm]{geometry}

With pdftex, the pdf window will be 15cm wide on the screen, but with
TeX + Ghostscript (called by %!TEX TS-program = latex), it will be
21cm wide, that is the window will have A4 size. Unfortunately,
illustrations made by old TeX tricks force you to use TeX +
Ghostscript (tell me, TeX + Ghostscript is the same as altpdflatex,
or simpdflatex ?)

(Of course, when I say 15 cm or 21 cm, I use the 135% zoom that is
uniformly needed with my G5 to get real sizes!)