[OS X TeX] I'm done with TeXShop as my main editor

Matthieu Masquelet matthieu.masquelet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 00:23:02 CET 2006

But to someone who is outside of this war, don't you think they both
look a little bit crazy? I haven't touched or even approached emacs in
many years so maybe my memories are getting really bad, but to me,
emacs is closer to vi than it is to TeXShop or even TextMate no? I
mean both have a steep learning curve and aim at best productivity
through the use of the keyboard. And with the development of vim, the
boundary between the two has blurred a little bit IMO, vim being less
barebones than vi. So I think people can definitely be on neither side
of this war and prefer more "modern" alternatives such as Textmate...
As for me, I'll stick to vim :)

On 12/7/06, Google Kreme <gkreme at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7-Dec-2006, at 15:54, Matthieu Masquelet wrote:
> > while you can argue the mechanics of emacs are
> > somehow similar to vi
>
> No, no you can't.  No one on either side of the vi/emacs religious
> war would ever argue that.  And everyone is on one side or the other
> of that particular war, most people just don't know it.
>
> On the one side are all the sensible people, and on the other are the
> whacked-out nutjobs.
>
> <peers suspiciously about>
>
> Yeah, yo know who you are.
>
> --
> I hate people who pronounce it "vunerable." And you can't correct
> them because they're so vulnerable.

Matthieu Masquelet
Georgia Institute of Technology
Computational Combustion Laboratory