[OS X TeX] I'm done with TeXShop as my main editor

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Thu Dec 7 21:52:03 CET 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Robert Bruner wrote:

> Quick clarification:  my affection for vi is not an attack on TeXShop.
> In fact I wish I had the time to download it and give it a try.

	[snip]

> One problem with already knowing how to do something well enough to
> get by is that it is easy to fail to take advantage of better tools.

	Perhaps I am mistaken by what this tool affords (I have no
familiarity with vi) and perhaps this has already been mentioned on
this list (I am not sure where else I would have learned about this
tool), but couldn't one use the "Vi Input Manager" with TeXShop to
address a number of the issues mentioned in this thread?

<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/
viinputmanager.html>

I don't know whether the subset of vi commands it includes is robust
enough to satisfy some of the previous uses listed in this thread,
but perhaps those with an affinity toward vi could try it out and
report back to the list.  (As I understand the description, this
input manager only works with editors that use the Cocoa text system,
so both BBEdit and TextMate are excluded.  Not that those are not
very fine editors in their own right.)

                                         -- Mike