[OS X TeX] Re: MacTeX TeXLive installer oddity

Gary L.Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Dec 7 01:44:42 CET 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 3:53 PM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Are you trying to install the TUG TeXLive, or Gerben's TeXLive?

This is the TeXLive from your web site on TUG. The .dmg file is named:

MacTeX_TeXLive.dmg

> One possible explanation is that I install Receipts for Gerben's
> TeXLive
> from that package, so i-Installer can upgrade it, but no receipts
> for TUG's TeXLive. Perhaps
> these receipts are confusing matters. (Although that would be
> puzzling).
>
> I'm in the midst of other tasks, but this evening I'll return to this
> issue and tell you what the size ought to be.
>
> Obviously I'm very interested in this problem! We've got to get to the
> bottom of it.

I just checked and one machine has a receipt called:

MacTeX.pkg

in /Library/Receipts/ and the other does not. The machine with the
receipt is showing the much smaller install and the machine without
it is showing what appears to be the full install. When that receipt
is moved out of /Library/Receipts, both installs look identical.

I hope this information helps.

> Incidentally, this may not be the best time to install using one of
> our three "extended" packages, since there will be minor changes
> after Gerben finishes his work. Specifically:
>
> a) in the future, each of these packages will also install some links
> in /Library/TeX following Gerben's design, so GUI applications can
> more
> easily set defaults to locate the distribution. In many cases this can
> be done automatically without user intervention
>
> b) Gerben will also rename the folder containing his distribution, and
> that will make it possible to put TUG's TeXLive in /usr/local/
> texlive/2005
> which is their "default location."
>
> So these are very minor changes, but still...

We will hold off. I am actually hoping that the new TeXLive is soon
released and then I won't have to reinstall again right away.

> Dick
> koch at math.uoregon.edu
>
> PS: By the way, where did you read this "size" business. I see
> sizes using the "Custom Install." This uses some receipts from the
> MacTeX install (rather than Gerben's receipts) and on my machine
> the required size is "0" because I already installed everything.

The screen shots were in the Custom Install window.

> PS: Another interesting experiment. I rename /usr/local and then
> restart the installer. It still believes the required size is "0".
> So it doesn't
> actually look to see what is present, but instead believes the
> receipt.
>
> PPS: The receipts (from Apple's installer) are in /Library/
> Receipts. The
> receipts for TeXLive2005 are
>
> 	Font Utilities					37.4 MB
> 	Ghostscript					41.4 MB
> 	GUI Applications for TeXLive	83.2 MB
> 	ImageMagick				71.7 MB
> 	TeXLive2005				1.5 GB
>
> To find these sizes, I temporarily renamed the five receipts, and then
> ran the installer and looked at these numbers from Custom Install.
> Note
> that these are numbers "after expanded" since the entire TeXLive2005
> package is a little over 600 MG

Yes, it appears to be entirely due to the receipts.

Thank you for the quick response.

All the best,
   Gary