[OS X TeX] Displaying a LaTeX beamer presentation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Dec 6 10:02:46 CET 2006

Le 26 oct. 06 à 10:41, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> On 26 Oct 2006, at 10:21 , Bruno Voisin wrote a careful explanation
> on Acrobat installation.
>
> Well, that settles it. That software will not be allowed on my
> machines if I can help it. This is positively evil.

Just this morning I realized that Adobe Reader 8.0 is available for
Mac OS X. I don't know for how long it has been there.
It corrects several of the evil behaviors reported for Reader 7:

- No more frameworks inside Safari.

- No more ad messages in the toolbar, and the toolbar is no longer
persistent: it is document-specific (i.e. it appears inside the
document window), and as a consequence takes up only the width of the
window instead of the whole width of the screen.

- Upon installation you are informed of the installation of the PDF
Viewer plugin, and are allowed the choice of whether or not to
install this plugin.

Overall the software feels much more Mac-like, instead of the hasty
Mac port of Windows software that Reader 7 seemed to be. Hands up to
Adobe for this! Two screenshots:

<http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.cv/bvoisin/Sites/.Public/Adobe%207%
20Screenshot.png-zip.zip>
<http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.cv/bvoisin/Sites/.Public/Adobe%208%
20Screenshot.png-zip.zip>

As a consequence, the viewer plugin integrates much better within
Safari. To the functionality provided by Safari's integrated PDF
viewer, it adds the ability to fill in forms, though I haven't tried.

Oddly, Adobe Reader 7 and 8 seem to have different notions of the
magnification of a document: as seen in the screenshots, the same
document viewed at 200% magnification has different magnifications on
screen with either Reader 7 or 8. I imagine this has to see with the
way Reader deals with the screen resolution.

Following is the log, from ~/Library/Receipts/com.adobe.Reader/
install.log, of all the "self-heal" files that Reader 8 installs upon
startup, for those who would like to inspect before deciding to take
the Reader 8 plunge.

Bruno Voisin

mercredi 6 décembre 2006
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Info.plist
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Info.plist
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/PkgInfo
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/PkgInfo
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AU.icns
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AU.icns
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AUDisconnected.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AUDisconnected.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/
AdobeAUM_rootCert.cer
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AdobeAUM_rootCert.cer
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AdobeUpdate.cer
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AdobeUpdate.cer
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AdobeUpdater.cer
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AdobeUpdater.cer
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/
AdobeUpdaterInstallMgr
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AdobeUpdaterInstallMgr
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en_US.lproj
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en_US.lproj
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/
Adobe Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/fr_FR.lproj
Copied to:  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/Adobe
Updater5/Adobe Updater.app/Contents/Resources/fr_FR.lproj
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Help/APP_Adobe/Help/en_US/Adobe Reader/8.0/
Copied to:  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Help/en_US/Adobe
Reader/8.0
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Help/APP_Adobe/Help/fr_FR/Adobe Reader/8.0/
Copied to:  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Help/fr_FR/Adobe
Reader/8.0
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Info.plist
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/Info.plist
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/MacOS/
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/MacOS/
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
PkgInfo
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/PkgInfo
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Back.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Back.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/BackDisabled.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/BackDisabled.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/BackPressed.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/BackPressed.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Forward.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Forward.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/ForwardDisabled.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/ForwardDisabled.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/ForwardPressed.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/ForwardPressed.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Help_App_Icon.icns
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Help_App_Icon.icns
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Print.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/Print.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/PrintDisabled.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/PrintDisabled.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/PrintPressed.png
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/PrintPressed.png
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/en.lproj/
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/en.lproj/
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/fr.lproj/
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/fr.lproj/
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/help.html
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/help.html
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/help.jpg
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/help.jpg
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/HelpViewer/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/main.nib/
Copied to:  /Applications/Adobe Help Viewer 1.0.app/Contents/
Resources/main.nib/
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Library/APP_Adobe/Adobe PCD/
Copied to:  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Library/APP_Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache/
Copied to:  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Library/APP_Adobe/TypeSpt/Unicode/ICU/icudt26l.dat
Copied to:  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSpt/Unicode/ICU/
icudt26l.dat
Copied from:  /Applications/Adobe Reader 8/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/
MacOS/SelfHealFiles/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin/
Copied to:  /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin/------------------------- Info --------------------------