[OS X TeX] Turning mtpro2 fonts into mac fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Dec 6 00:21:37 CET 2006

Some time ago, I bought the mtpro2 fonts from pctex  and I installed
them on my mMacintosh.

Now, I have the following problem: I want the lettering in the
illustrations identical with the one in text. So, I usually typeset
my LaTeX file into pdf, then I open the pdf file with Adobe
Illustrator, and I have only to copy-past the formulas from the pdf
file into my illustrations.

In fact, I used to proceed in this manner with Textures and Postcript
CMR (and alike) fonts.

Unfortunately, this cannot work with the mtpro2 fonts, I get messages
like the following one: "MT2HRBT is lacking. It will be
substituted..." (translated from the French). I suppose that I should
install Macintosh versions of the mtpro2 fonts into Library/Fonts. I
tried with the .pfb and .pfm files sent by pctex, but it didn't work.
I think I should make genuine macintosh fonts from these files. Is
there an easy way to do that? (I could not understand what exactly
FontForge can do, and how it does it.)

André Bellaïche

P.S. I have also tried the same with Fourier fonts. I get no error
message since the Fourier fonts are in Library/Fonts (I cannot
remember how they managed to get there, but this is a fact: there are
16 Fourier font suitcases and 15 Fourier Postscript type 1 outline
fonts in this directory), but there is a coding problem.

An = sign typed into the file appears as an = sign when the pdf file
is viewed with Acrobat, and as a \Downarrow symbol when the pdf file