[OS X TeX] Critical reviews of scientific/mathematical presentation software

Mike Loeb mlloeb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 02:03:26 CET 2006

>I would be interested in a critical review/discussion of scientific
> presentation software at this point in time (or be directed to such
> reviews). I would like to hear from those who do scientific and
> mathematical presentations frequently and for whom the quality of
> slides/video/... is high.
>
> As I understand it, the present possibilities are beamer, powerdot,
> and Keynote+LaTeXIT. There, of course, may be others.

If you are interested in a "critical review/discussion" of
presentation software in the most general of terms, start with Edward
Tufte's critique called "The cognitive style of PowerPoint: pitching
out corrupts within."  The issues discussed in his essay should be
considered regardless of what your presentation software is because,
as Tufte argues, they all share many of the same flaws (but PPT is the
worst among them).  More here:
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/powerpoint

ML