[OS X TeX] Very (Mac)-specific mpm problem

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun Dec 3 16:48:00 CET 2006

>Am 03.12.2006 um 02:15 schrieb Alan Munn:
>
>>libmpm: going to download:
>>ftp://indian.cse.msu.edu/pub/mirrors/CTAN/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/miktex-zzdb1-2.5.tar.bz2
>>=> /private/var/tmp/mik43930/miktex-zzdb1-2.5.tar.bz2
>>core: The MiKTeX function CurlWebFile::ReadInformationals fails for
>>the following reason:
>>The cURL easy interface returned error code 8
>>Info:
>>Source: CurlWebFile.cpp
>>Line: 368
>>core: leaving scratch directory "/var/tmp/mik43930"
>>mpm: The cURL easy interface returned error code 8
>
>This error obviously indicates that your version of mpm is using its
>own internal libcurl software to fetch things from the Internet
>(Source and Line particularly). To proof:
>
>	otool -L `which mpm` | sort
>
>And also obviously this internal "cURL easy" library is faulty. You
>should report this!

I'm not sure that I am using the mpm libcurl library.  The relevant
line of the otool output shows this:

/usr/lib/libcurl.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3
.2.0)

which seems to be the system libcurl no?

>There is a cure, that others, including me, already have working: we
>have installed the BSD and BSDSDK packages from Mac OS X. It's not
>sufficient to have libcurl in /usr/lib (from BaseSystem package),
>there is also the C header file curl/curl.h needed (plus its
>colleagues), contained in the BSDSDK package. If you install BSDSDK
>and then re-configure and re-make and re-install mpm it should work
>better ... Except: in one Tiger update for PPC based Macs libcurl
>was renewed! It might have been for security reasons, I can't tell
>that now because I had to re-install Tiger recently and went
>straight to 10.4.8 with an UpdCombo.
>
>If you have all receipts lying around you could check with a little loop:
>
>in tcsh:
>
>	foreach BILL ( /Library/Receipts/* )
>	    echo "$BILL"
>	    lsbom "${BILL}/Contents/Archive.bom" | grep lib/libcurl
>	end

This particular machine is still running 10.3.9. The script returns

/Library/Receipts/ARDClient124Update.pkg

I'm beginning to suspect that there is something up with the most
recent version of mpm.  I don't have my 10.3.9 laptop around right
now to check versions, but perhaps I'm running a slightly older
version on that machine.  The version that I installed on the Intel
Macbook works fine.

Alan

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu