[OS X TeX] Greek Fonts in XeTeX

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Sun Dec 3 15:08:11 CET 2006

I am trying to use Greek fonts in xetex but was met with partial
success:

1. Tones do not show up properly. For example, κύκλος typesets
with the ύ is missing, while κυκλος typesets correctly.
2. Some standard latex characters do not print: ` and " are two that
I noticed.
3. Italics and bold don't work. Probably this is because these glyphs
are missing from the font but I do get bold Greek on other Mac
applications (e.g. by choosing the Greek keyboard and <apple> B).

To access Greek fonts I have used \setromanfont{Symbol} (should I use
something different?) and set the keyboard to monotonic Greek. A
minimal example of my source file is shown below.

thanks

Themis

%&program=xelatex
%&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode