[OS X TeX] Some List Reminders & Etiquette

Gary L.Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sun Dec 3 01:46:28 CET 2006

It has been a while since I posted this info and it has again become
common practice to start a new thread by replying to a previous
thread, so it looks like posting this message is in order.

Here, again, is my occasional/semi-regular reminder of a little list
etiquette.

(1) Please do not start a new thread (with the corresponding new
subject) by replying to a post from another thread. If you do this,
email clients, such as Apple's Mail, will then put all of these
messages together making it very difficult to find information.

(2) Please use *plain* text when posting to the list -- it makes the
archives much easier to read. This is done in Apple's Mail by going to:

Mail > Preferences > Composing

and then choosing "Plain Text" as the Message Format.

(3) Threads are usually easier to follow if you don't "top post",
that is, if you include your reply in relevant parts of the quoted
message rather than entirely at the top. Top posting should be the
exception rather than the rule.

(4) Don't always quote absolutely everything in the message to which
you are replying. Only quote those parts that are pertinent to your
reply. If you like, you may indicate deleted material by using
something like:

[snip]

Thank you,

-- Gary
    (the guy whose server serves up the list)