[OS X TeX] Keeping this list healthy

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Dec 1 23:37:56 CET 2006

Le 1 déc. 06 à 22:22, Victor Ivrii a écrit :

> Now
> the good question what reaction expected Bruno when mentioned M$W in
> this list? It was doomed to generate a discussion between M$-bashers
> like me and members of PETMU [Peole for Etical Treatment of Micro$oft
> Users] like you.

No. I expected a discussion on the direction TeX has been taking in
the past, and on the direction it should take in the future to remain
useful to people and to escape from the niche status it is currently
digging itself in. I like TeX very much, and I would feel very sorry
should it one day pass to antics status (though, I must admit, I
liked more plain TeX and Textures, which felt more to human scale,
cosier, than LaTeX and the Unix TeX distros).

The fact that the software taking TeX over in my message was Word
from Microsoft was immaterial IMO. I was struck, after taking part
for years in scientific conferences, to realize suddenly that (based
on one example only, admittedly) TeX was no longer the lingua franca
of science, and I thought it interesting to share that opinion.

Ironically, I find that the way you interpreted this message in terms
of Microsoft, not TeX, illustrates very well how being too focused on
MS bashing prevent people from seeing other more relevant issues at
hand.

Bruno