[OS X TeX] Keeping this list healthy

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Fri Dec 1 16:33:07 CET 2006

I've been on various lists since the early days of usenet (back to
1979). I've seen many flame wars and been involved in a few myself
that I'd rather disavow :( This medium attracts many articulate,
technically very knowledgeable people. People of that kind -- and
this is not a criticism -- can get impatient or snippy when they feel
that their points or contributions are being misunderstood. When
people know each other well, expression of those feelings can be
helpful and eventually worked through. But most of us here or in any
other such forum do not really know each other. We may *think* we do
because we have ben reading each other's posts for years. We may
especially feel that we know well the main contributors of this group
(you know who they are). But we don't have the kind of knowledge that
comes from face-to-face social interaction, that tells us  how to
interact successfully with someone much better than we can put in words.

So, it's way too easy to annoy or offend someone online, because we
don't have access to most of the relevant emotional signals. Knowing
that, there are some useful responses:

- Think before pressing send: how would this *public* communication
be interpreted by people beyond the sender's immediate circle
- Think before replying: Is a reply venting feelings that are never
well expressed on this medium? Does the reply go beyond factual
issues relevant to the group?
- Suppress ego: to paraphrase a famous New Yorker cartoon "On the
Internet, no one knows that you are a feeling person". Issues of self-
worth and the like are best kept to one's full social interactions;
this medium can be good for building shared knowledge, but it is
terrible for establishing and maintaining emotionally healthy
relationships.

I enjoy the contributions and thoughtful questions of many here, even
when I disagree with with them. That's a value that all of us share,
otherwise we wouldn't bother to subscribe. The occasional snippy
interaction here is a natural leakage of human reaction to
difficulties in communication. If we start interpreting those
glitches as more significant than they really are, we'll destroy this
forum. I've seen that happen in other groups. We would all lose a lot
if it happened here.

Best

-- F

PS. I also subscribe to the red wine theory, looking forward to a
nice bottle this weekend :)