[OS X TeX] aid with urlbst on a custom-bib file

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Aug 31 14:14:40 CEST 2006

Am 31.08.2006 um 13:51 schrieb Simon Lisney:

> the result of 'which urlbst' in Terminal is;
>
>> Last login: Thu Aug 31 12:02:20 on ttyp1
>> Welcome to Darwin!
>> Mac-G4:~ simon$ which urlbst
>> no urlbst in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/
>> local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current

So you don't have it available yet!

> Some help with the installation process would help as I think that
> is the problem.
> 1. How do I  "check that the path to the Perl binary is correct" ?

which perl  – just as with 'which urlbst'. The which scripts looks in
those directories mentioned in $PATH for an executable of that name
(s) you give as argument(s). If 'which perl' returns 'no perl in ...'
then something's wrong!

> 2. How do it copy to "/usr/local/bin"  as I can see it in my
> directory (alias in Library to teTex/bin/ ?)

sudo cp <the file(s) you mean> /usr/local/bin

> 3. Do I only copy the 'urlbst' file as the Perl binary. Folder
> contents;

No, certainly not. The PDF file is some documentation, the BST files
are surely necessary requisites. Both would go into the /usr/local/
teTeX/share/texmf.local branch. Usually a 'make install' or, if it's
going to be installed into the system's trees: 'sudo make install'
should do the installation right.

> What about 'configure' and urlbst.in which look like binary files too.

The shell script configure needs to be invoked before anything else.
It usually creates a file called 'Makefile' which then can 'make' the
whole software via 'make <options to the make programme> <an optional
target>'. Configure often accepts arguments or option, './configure --
help' will show these. The final configure run, before make is
invoked, should again start with './configure' because bash does not
search for an executable in the directory you are currently working in.

> 4. Do I need to copy the .bst files

Read the INSTALL and README documentation!

> to the texmf/bibtex/bst folder even if I do not intend to use them?

Same as above. The proper place should be in the /usr/local/teTeX/
share/texmf.local tree, i.e /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/bibtex/
bst/<some sub-directory, for example urlbst>. Only here the files can
survive an update of the TeX i-Package. Od course a private
installation might also work, only for you.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best".
                                      -- H. Allen Smith