[OS X TeX] Re: i-Installer download questions (problem?)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Aug 30 18:56:14 CEST 2006

> Michael S. Hanson wrote:
>>     Now for something different.... ;)
>>
>>     Yesterday I was trying to use the "TeX+Ghostscript" option in
>> TeXShop (v2.09c) to process a LaTeX file that a co-author (Windows user,
>> all graphics in PS format) sent me.  Upon attempting to typeset, a sheet
>> dropped down from TeXShop with the following message:
>>
>>     Can't find required tool.
>>
>>     /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/simpdflatex does
>> not exist....
>>

> Well, I didn't have the first problem.  I recently did an Archive and
> Install so I had to re-install latex and texshop.  But, I did have the
> same i-Installer problem of never finishing.  In fact, not once, but
> twice.  But, I figured out a simple "solution".  On the texshop beta
> page, there is the "MacTex Install Package".  This avoided the
> i-Insaller entirely.

Which is of course nice for you, but not for me (or die hard i-Installer
users who like the configuration and stuff).

I now have seen twice this problem reported (on this list) and I depend on
people contacting me with their problem and letting me help/analyze with
them to find and fix problems. If everyone with a problem immediately
switches to MacTeX.dmg, i-Installer will die as a project in the end
because problems are never analyzed nor fixed.

If you (or others) still have this i-Installer never finishing (e.g. on
trying to install) I would be grateful if you contacted me and I could ask
you to check a few things for me (e.g. OS version, hardware, console
output in Console.log, network/proxy settings, what can be seen in the
Activity tab (if nothing it is an i-Installer bug because at the end of
activity the package window should be set back to interactive).

Yours,