[OS X TeX] Entering specially formatted items in the index

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 18:15:59 CEST 2006

Alex Scorpan wrote:

> Well, you could make your own showidx-like thing, using \marginpar's
> and such.  Won't be as sophisticated or robust as shoidx, but might
> just be enough for your needs.  As first draft, I'd try:
>
>     \newcommand\Index[1]{\marginpar{\fbox{#1}}\index{#1}\ignorespaces}

It almost works. In the following

    Some text or the other and there is
    \textbf{darkness}\index{darkness} but then tbehold the
    \textbf{\{\;\}} \Index{\{\;\}} and then there is
    \textbf{light}\index{light} at the end of the tunnel.

the three index entries are properly ordered in the index and in the
margin. However, \Index{\{\;\}} places two copies of the entry \{\;\} in
the margin. The first copy is where it should be, that is exactly
between darkness and light, but there is a second copy, in a box, that
is right under the first one but a little off to the right.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get rid of the second, boxed copy.
Nor, not that it matters, do I understand why the \index in the
newcommand does not trigger \showindex! But then there are things I was
never meant to understand.

> Of course, if you have too many calls to this in a short space, it'll
> get messy...

I don't undestand why but it doesn't matter since I would use \Index
only whenever \showindex wouldn't work properly.

Grateful regards
--schremmer