[OS X TeX] Puzzled by epstopdf

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 29 18:00:00 CEST 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:38 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> Many thanks to Pete and Herb.
>
> This opens new questions :
>
> -- What is the default ? With or without --shell-escape ?

Howdy,

I have been using TeXShop long enough that I can't remember if I
changed that or it was default behavior. The easiest way to tell is
to temporarily remove ~/Library/Preferences/TeXShop.plist and re-
start TeXShop; that should give you the defaults. When you are done
just replace the newly created file with the original.

> -- When a user changes Texshop preferences, are the preferences
> changed for that user only, or for everybody ? (I could look by
> myself, but the answer may be of use to some people.)

Each user has their own preferences.

> -- How did you come to know the meaning of "\write18", and that for
> Texshop it corresponds to "--shell-escape" ? By knowing well the
> TeX Book and Unix ? By other means ? I cannot get used to the idea
> that typing in TeX is like doing mathematics: you need to learn
> advanced calculus, higher algebra, topology, projective geometry
> and analytical functions only to understand the meaning of a
> correct statement about points of algebraic curves which be valid
> for every point (singular points as well).
>
> André Bellaïche

Way too many years of playing with TeX and lots of time, many years
ago, when I was quite a bit younger, of reading the ``Bible'' of all
things low level in TeX, DK's TeXbook. Oh... how much I've forgotten...

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)