additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Tue Aug 29 14:29:46 CEST 2006

> Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> []
> > Again, thank you for your advice, and I see that line in the file,
> > but since what I see means
> >
> > unknown = unknown
> >
> > to me in my current state of ignorance, I must not do what you say
> > - until I've got some documentation that explains the syntax of the
> > *.cnf - files - that would enable me to understand what the lines
> > mean,
>
> There is a lot of documentation available about TeX on Unix systems in
> general, and much of this is valid for tetex on MacOSX, too.

Indeed there is a lot.  Lots and lots and lots.  And to understand most
of it, you need to be very clued up about about Unix, and I'm not.  I've
got a lot of this Unix documentation and I find it very hard going - it
does look as if I'm going to have to buy myself a book and turn myself
into a Unix sysadmin to use TeX on my Mac.  This should *not* be
necessary.

> Googling
> half a minute brings up the following, for example:
> <http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/octave/kpathsea_48.html>

Well, yes, if you know what you're looking for, I expect you can find
something.

> Maybe reading this will help you.

Thanks for the pointer - you seem to be saying that I do indeed need to
get my head down and read the Kpathsea library documentation.  Off I go
then - I'll be back with some other queries when I've digested it (it's
not the most user-friendly document for a Mac user, is it?)

Cheers,
Rowland.