additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Aug 28 17:31:47 CEST 2006

> On Aug 28, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>

>> Sorry, reading this message again I realize it's rather ambiguous.
>> What I was suggesting was to move all i-Installer-maintained
>> additions such as ConTeXt updater, CM-Super, MusicTeX, XeTeX etc.
>> to texmf.gwtex. In that event, texmf.local would become exclusively
>> a repository for local additions by the Mac admin, and never be
>> touched by i-Installer (except when being read in order to create
>> TeX formats, but never written nor erased).
>>
>> Bruno Voisin
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Then all of these extras will have to be re-installed when the TeX
> package is updated. I believe we already see that with XeTeX (which
> is a small package so not much of a problem) but some packages (like
> CM Super?) are considerably larger. Oh... I thin the packages so save
> disk space on my Powerbook.

Exactly. Welcome all to the rather complex set of issues that are at play
here.

Anyway, I am thinking about a following setup (if I ever find the time to
do it and write the migration script (shudder!))

texmf.tetex - only used for teTeX 2 in combination with TeX Live 2003
binaries for older projects that you want to be able to compile without a
fuss. Maybe I'll drop this one and tell people to use the old full dmg
that works on Jaguar and that is separately available.
texmf.gwtex - replaces current texmf.tetex and texmf.gwtex and eventually
contains a more finegrained set of chunks which can be separately
installed/uninstalled.
texmf.gwtex-additions - place where separate i-Packages (not separate sets
inside the TeX i-Package) like context-updater and friends work their
limited magic by default.
texmf.local - clean local admin tree.

all in /usr/local/gwTeX (not in .../share)

/Library/TeX symlinks to /usr/local/gwTeX
/Users/Shared/TeX/texmf.local symlinks to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local

A really ideal solution is not available, I'm afraid. But the above is
manageable and that is all I am interested in.