additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Aug 28 14:39:16 CEST 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On 8/28/06, William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 28, 2006, at 8:02 AM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for your suggestion - but as I understand it, that would
>> limit
>> > the additions to one user only.  Or have I missed something?
>>
>> Well, I've just tested my idea and moving a personal texmf tree to /
>> Users/Shared/texmf and then linking to it using the command
>>
>> ln -s /Users/Shared/texmf/ ~/Library/texmf
>>
>> works (making an alias however doesn't --- when I tried this with an
>> alias it couldn't find varwidth.sty which is only in my personal
>> texmf tree).
>>
>> Aside from Victor's concern about lots of people having write access,
>> I don't think there'd be any drawbacks of note, modulo removing the
>> option for customization for an individual user --- I'd welcome
>> correction on this.
>
> Actually for THE individual user. Everyone else could have his/her own
> ~/Library/texmf tree on the top of this but the user whose tree is
> shared should 1) Make all the related directories executable by others
> and all such files readable by others and also should think about how
> his/her personal tree changes would affect others. Looks like
> unnecessary headache for me.

My idea was that all users on a machine would make the afore-
mentioned link and that this shared directory would be the only
personalized one --- the advantage here is that only one customized
texmf tree has to be maintained, the trade-off is that those users
who are using it can't have a personalized tree.

> Pseudo-user Shared exists (at least almost) for sure anyway and
> personal directories should contain only personal staff (not exactly a
> strict rule but I prefer to follow it)

Agreed, that's why I think that the ideal would be to follow Bruno's
suggestion (merge gwtex and local as they exist now into gwtex) and
then set local to be /Users/Shared/texmf (with ``local'' added to it,
either as a prefix or as an extension).

The advantage of moving it to /Users/Shared is that it's then easier
and more natural for people to find / change / update --- unless
there's a better location in the system?

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.