additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Aug 28 13:48:44 CEST 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
(re: my thought of adding a texmf tree at /Users/Shared/texmf or
linking one's personal tree at ~/Library/texmf to it)

> Both would make it necessary that all participants have write
> access and that best only the installing one has easy delete
> permission. I.e. you need to create a new group and add these
> participants to it and you need to give the directories quite
> unusual permissions (directories 3775, file 664).
>
> Which could be achieved in texmf.local, too.

Is there a specific reason why a typical user would need write
access? (Presumably to further customize? I'm envisioning a working
environment where a small group of people is responsible for
maintaining the localtexmf while a number of users make use of it, so
no need for the typical user to be able to add, change or delete stuff.)

> Is the real world still not complicated enough?

I was hoping this would be a simplification.

> And who'll get blamed when /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf was changed?
> Who'll be responsible for administering /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf?
> And when this person is on holidays?

As I noted, my idea was of a workplace where a couple of people
maintain the installation, and a larger group of people use single
machines (shift work --- my new workplace only closes down for
Christmas Day).

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.