[OS X TeX] i-Installer installation question

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Aug 25 21:56:40 CEST 2006

Le 25 août 06 à 19:19, Wendy McKay a écrit :

> The way Apple does it when they lend us machines at TUG meetings is to
> install TeX on one machine and then clone the system  over to the
> others. (that was before intel chips appeared)

That would advocate for making the binaries universal, in gwTeX.

IIRC Gerben asked us some time ago (or was it to the OS X TeX list)
whether making these binaries universal was worth the effort. AFAIK,
for the moment, both PPC and Intel binaries are installed and at
install time the binaries for the right processor are "selected" once
and for good. (I think this is done through /usr/local/teTeX/bin/
highesttexbin.pl, which chooses between  /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-
apple-darwin-current/ and /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-
current/.)

Remember the transition from 680x0 to PPC: first applications were
either provided as thin (i.e. processor-specific) or fat (i.e. for
both processors); then, after a couple of years IIRC, most
applications were provided in fat form, or only for PPC.

My 0.02 €-message of Friday night!

Bruno