[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1826 - 08/19/06

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 20 04:37:34 CEST 2006

On 20 Aug 2006, at 10:00 AM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> Subject: Issue with Multiple Bibliographies
> From: "Simon Lisney" <simon at lisney.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 23:38:36 +0200
>
> I have recently installed MacTex and using TexShop in conjunction
> with Bibdesk for beginning to compile my thesis.
> So far I have been able to get it all working together and
> producing .tex documents with .bib files.  The problem comes when I
> try to create multiple bibliographies in one .tex file.
>
> I am initially looking to produce a simple bibliographical document
> without any written text or citations and wanted to
> separate my list out into, Primary, Secondary and Tertiary sources
> (effectively three .bib files).
>
> I am using Texshop Version 2.10beta2 (237) on a Powermac G4 1Ghz MMD,
> OS 10.4.7. MacTeX.dmg (09/06/2006) Installed. The (one entry test
> pri.bib and sec.bib) bib files were generated from Bibdesk Version
> 1.2.7
>
> Having looked around the net, sofar I have tried , multibbl,
> multibib, bibunits with bibtexall, and natbib and natchapter, none of
> which I can get to work with Texshop with more than a single .bib
> file.  The typical error I get is;
>
> --This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.5)
> --The top-level auxiliary file: multibib.aux
> --I found no \citation commands---while reading file multibib.aux
> --I found no \bibdata command---while reading file multibib.aux
> --I found no \bibstyle command---while reading file multibib.aux
> --(There were 3 error messages)
>
> I have read that there is an issue using Texshop with multibib but
> that it can be done. Being a beginner I am just not seeing the
> light.  I posted more detail on the Texshop forum which give more
> info here;
>
> http://www.apfelwiki.de/forum/viewtopic.php?
> t=1048&sid=10dd9b656cf5abd69572b2e95d3bb089
>
> If anyone can offer a way in which I can get Texshop to work with
> multiple bibs it would be great. Or offer another working solution
> for this task.
>
> Thanks.

What you are doing is a fairly simple use of multiple bibliographies.
I found the following , using bibtopic and (optionally) natbib,
effective
(one reason for this is that it gives me a record of just how my
biblios were created; just check that I've not missed anything!)

Call the master file that follows, e.g., master.tex

\documentclass[makeidx]{book}
\usepackage{natbib}
\bibliographystyle{daag}
\usepackage{bibtopic}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\begin{document}
\include{eda}
\appendix
\begin{btSect}[daag]{refmethod}
\subsection*{Methodological References}
\btPrintAll
\end{btSect}
\begin{btSect}[daag]{refdata}
\subsection*{References for Data Sets}
\btPrintAll
\end{btSect}
\begin{btSect}[daagpackage]{refpackage}
\subsection*{References for Packages}
\btPrintAll
\end{btSect}
\begin{btSect}[daagurl]{refurl}
\subsection*{References for Web Pages}
\btPrintAll
\end{btSect}
\end{document}

There are of course various alternatives to \btPrintAll
You have a file refmethod.bib, refdata.bib, refpackage.bib and
refurl.bib files that consist only of references in the form:

@Article
{Ambroise,
author = {Ambroise, C. and McLachlan, G. J.},
title = {Selection bias in gene extraction on the basis of
microarray gene-expression data.},
journal = {PNAS},
year = {2002},
volume = {99},
pages = {6262-6266}
}

Also, the above assumes that there is a file daag.bst that has been
generated by using the prugram makebst and running latex on the file
makebst.tex.  See

www.ctex.org/documents/packages/bibref/makebst.pdf

Alternatively, use one of the standard .bst bibliographic styles --
plain, unsrt, abbrv, etc.

Then
   pdflatex master
(or latex master)

followed by
   bibtex master1
   bibtex master2
   bibtex master3
   bibtex master4

followed by as many (often, 3) repeats of
   plflatex master
as are necessary to get the references lined up.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.