[OS X TeX] Re: apalike bib style

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Fri Aug 18 17:54:55 CEST 2006

Written on Aug 17, 2006, at 5:00 PM, in MacOSX-TeX Digest #1824:

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Re: apalike bib style
> From: "Adam R. Maxwell" <amaxwell at mac.com>
> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:05:09 -0700
>

> On Aug 16, 2006, at 20:38, Alan Litchfield wrote:
>
>> OK. That's odd and I have never seen that before with apalike or
>> apacite. Could you send one or two of the entries from the bib file?
>
> If you use \usepackage{natbib} the problem with square brackets and
> apalike should go away.
>
> Adam

If I put in my LaTeX file

\documentclass[draft]{article}
\usepackage[]{natbib}
\usepackage[]{apacite}
\nocite{*}
\bibliography{numrealrootscubic}

I get the same errors when I latex the file using OzTeX as when I don't
use "natbib":

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (no format preloaded)
**&LaTeX numrealrootscubic.tex
(numrealrootscubic.tex
LaTeX2e <1999/06/01> patch level 1
(/sw/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
(/sw/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (apacite.sty
Runaway argument?
{accentfix,noindex,nohyper,unnumberedbib,tocbib,
! Paragraph ended before \ExecuteOptions was complete.
<to be read again>
                    \par
l.846

?

HOWEVER, if I use apalike instead of apacite like this

\documentclass[draft]{article}
\usepackage[]{natbib}
\nocite{*}
\bibliographystyle{apalike}
\bibliography{numrealrootscubic}

I don't get any errors and the list of References and the \cite{...}
formatting all appear to be correct.  So this works for me at this
point. :-)

(I wish I knew my way around (La)TeX more so that I would understand
why this works and how to solve such problems myself in the future.)

Thanks for your help.

---John.

"There are no atheists in foxholes."
---Fr. William T. Cummings, M.M. (WWII, Philippines)
[_The Grunt Padre_, CMJ Marian Pub., p. 56]