[OS X TeX] Getting students to use LaTeX (and apa.cls)

Niels Kobschaetzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 17 18:30:24 CEST 2006

On 8/17/06, Michael Kubovy <kubovy at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Dear MacOSXTeXans,
>
> On Aug 17, 2006, at 1:10 AM, John Vokey wrote:
>
> > As Michael noted, there is apa.cls, but it needs apacite.bst or
> > apacitex.bst to produce apa-like references (either can be used
> > independently of apa.cls, although I recommend the combo: if you
> > use apa.cls, you do not have to call apacite with
> > \bibliogreaphystyle{}, as it does that for you).  apa.cls produces
> > virtually perfect APA documents in three modes: `jou': reproduces
> > the journal output in amazing JEP:X fidelity, `doc' produces your
> > document in a single-column format more useful for distributing to
> > colleagues and co-authors for commenting and editing, and `man'
> > format faithfully (well, better than anything else that I have
> > seen) reproduces every flipping stupid APA rule you can imagine,
> > and many you probably didn't even know for journal submission.
> > apacite sometimes, but rarely, requires some tweaking to get
> > obscure referencing types to type-set correctly, but these are all
> > well-documented in the manual.  I have a template for apa.cls that
> > sets out much of the format for you (read, you probably won't have
> > to read the manual to use it successfully).  Just drop it in your
> > TeXShop templates folder.  Write me if you are interested.  I don't
> > let my students use anything else (and, in the bargain, they don't
> > have to learn APA format: LaTeX takes care of that for them, as it
> > should).
>
> I concur with John's assessment of apa.cls.
>
> Your write "I don't let my students use anything else". Do you impose
> this on students working in your lab, or students in a course? If the
> latter, are these grad students? How do you persuade them to do
> what's best for them and abandon the deeply ingrained MSW habit?
>
> It might be useful for people on the list to see your template. I for
> one would.

I would be more interested how I could convince my not so tech-savvy
lecturers that using LaTeX is a good thing and that some of their
guidelines
for papers don't work well with LaTeX...

Niels

--
Norrington: Well, well, well Jack Sparrow, isn't it?
Jack Sparrow: Captain Jack Sparrow, if you please sir.