[OS X TeX] First post to the list

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 16 11:36:22 CEST 2006

Nick Black wrote:
[]
> Briefly, my problem is that only some of my references (\cite{key})
> are being compiled.  Most of them suffer from:
>
> LaTeX Warning: Reference `usersurvey' on page 39 undefined on input line
> 592.
[]

Since you don't say what you did and what happened (you should do this
precisely; don't paraphrase, show it!), I'll describe the usual
procedure that works.

- You have the files yourtext.tex and yourbiblio.bib.

- In yourtext.tex, you have the command

\bibliography{yourbiblio}

- You run
1. latex yourtext
2. bibtex yourtext
3. latex yourtext
4. latex yourtext

In 1., the \cite keys and the name of yourbiblio are written to
yourtext.aux.
In 2., bibtex takes yourtext.aux and yourtext.bib and creates yourtext.bbl.
In 3., yourtext.bbl is read in, the \cite keys are completed with the
information from yourtext.bbl and written as \bibcite to yourtext.aux.
At this point, you still get the undefined reference warnings.
In 4., the information from yourtext.aux and yourtext.bbl is finally
used in the typeset and no warnings should appearany more, unless your
cite keys are really undefined.

If you trash yourtext.aux, you have to repeat steps 3. and 4.

Some of these steps must have gone wrong in your case. You can always
see the current state of affairs from the *.aux, *.bbl and *.log files.
They are ordinary text files and tell you everything there is to know.

--
Martin