[OS X TeX] Last TeX i-Package update and MAP file fragments

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Aug 11 19:03:29 CEST 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 17:49, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Yesterday I tried to get the option of having a working personal
> configuration by re-installing TeX. During that i-Installer warned me
> twice:
>
> !!! WARNING: While searching for the right map file for
> `ec-public-lm.map', we have
>     found the file
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-public-
> lm.map
>     in the right location and we are using this
>     file. However, a map file with different content has been found in
>     the obsolete location
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvipdfm/context/ec-
> public-lm.map
>     Please, see which version you want to use and eventually update the
>     content of the used map file. Additionally, consider removing the
>     obsolete file.

These files do not come from the TeX update but from the ConTeXt
updater i-Package (texmf.local). You have a TeX texmf setup based on
the teTeX 3 texmf tree and a more recent ConTeXt in texmf.local.

It looks like ConTeXt (both stable and beta) has the item twice and it
used to be available in ConTeXT in another location still

 From my build system:

$ find /usr/local/Build -name ec-public-lm.map
/usr/local/Build/ConTeXt/fonts/map/dvipdfm/context/ec-public-lm.map
/usr/local/Build/ConTeXt/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-public-lm.map
/usr/local/Build/ConTeXt-beta/fonts/map/dvipdfm/context/ec-public-lm.map
/usr/local/Build/ConTeXt-beta/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-public-lm.map
/usr/local/Build/teTeX.3/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/map/dvips/context/ec-
public-lm.map

In other words:
- teTeX 3 contains an older ConTeXt with the file in
fonts/map/dvips/context/ec-public-lm.map
- Current ConTeXt (beta and stable) have two, one for pdftex and one
for dvipdfm.

updmap seems to have trouble working with such a setup. I am unsure,
ths is TeX/TDS/updmap specifics, so maybe Thomas Esser can answer this
one better.