[OS X TeX] How to convert eps w/bounding box to pdf retaining Bbox info

Markus Hänchen youcontrol at hispeed.ch
Thu Aug 10 16:07:25 CEST 2006

Hi,

Being forced to move to pdflatex from tex+ghostscript because a
collaborator cannot get its ghostscript working, I have to convert my
eps files to pdf files. If I do a simply 'Save As' in Illustrator, the
resulting pdf will be an A4 with lots of whitespace below and on top of
my original figure. Not good.

Although the eps file also was shown to have a Document Size of A4 in
Illustrator, by virtue of having a bounding box (the bounding box
having been originally created by e.g. Igor or created by me in
Illustrator), Latex (tex+ghostscript) handled these figures without any
additional whitespace.

The only work-around I have found is to define a different document
size, be it in Illustrator or when creating a pdf directly out of
Matlab (there one is limited to a number of fixed paper sizes) before
saving as a pdf. This is quite cumbersome.

Is there a better way to produce high-quality graphs with pdflatex
without going the route of high-resolution bitmaps, especially for
graphs coming from Igor or Matlab?

Thanks,

Markus