[OS X TeX] Illustrator cannot use partial sets of TeX fonts

stephenmoye at cox.net stephenmoye at cox.net
Wed Aug 9 16:48:11 CEST 2006

---- "André Bellaïche" <abellaic at math.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> The pdf output produced by pdflatex cannot be opened by Adobe
> Illustrator CS : the error messages says "missing fonts".
>
> You can look into the pdf document, using Acrobat: it says that only
> partial sets of fonts CMMI, CMR, CMSY have been incorporated to the
> file.
>
> You can try to typeset the same file with \usepackage{fourier}. In
> this case, the Utopia text fonts can be faund in the system, so you
> get the same problem, but only with math fonts.
>
> Does anybody knows a way
>
> - either to force pdflatex to incorprate the whole font used, not a
> partial set ;
>
> - to make system fonts out of the TeX fonts of families CMR and
> alike, and of Fourier family ?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> André Bellaïche

Opening PDFs in Illustrator can be a sometimes thing. On the rare occasions that I have had to do such a thing, I have:
1. extracted the relevant PDF page,
2.converted the text to outlines in the extracted page (an excellent choice for that now is "TeX Font Outliner.app" from http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/PDF-Processing-Apps.zip),
3. taken the result into Illustrator, make whatever changes I need to,
4. save the page as a PDF and
5. reinsert it back into the original.

Ugly, but it works.