[OS X TeX] Filling the box in a table

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 02:59:15 CEST 2006

In the following:

    Please indicate your choices with an \textsf{{\Large X}} as follows:
    \newdimen\digitwidth \settowidth\digitwidth{0}

        \def~{\hspace{\digitwidth}}
        \def\divrule#1#2{\noalign{\moveright#1\digitwidth\vbox{\hrule
        width#2\digitwidth}}}
        \catcode`\?=\active \def?{}
        \hspace*{-3mm}%
        \begin{tabular}{@{} |c| @{}}
        \midrule
        %Row0
        \textsf{{\Large X}}
        \\
        \midrule
        \end{tabular}

the code does not quite do what I would like which is for the X to
"fill" the box (in a grid for entering choices for multiple choice
questions) as \Large increases the size of the box.

I adapted thiS—which I don't understand—from something given to me on
this list once upon a time for something else but tinkering did not
result in the desired effect.

Hopeful regards
--schremmer