[OS X TeX] producing a commentary in TeX of an existing PDF document (various particular items)

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 23:52:44 CEST 2006

Jason Davies wrote:

>I asked a little while ago about this topic and was pointed towards using the class memoir. However, it turns out that that will not work in practice so I've decided instead to use the original document in the following way:
>
>1) create individual pdfs of each page of the original document
>2) include them as graphics as the right hand page (ie alternating)
>3) add my commentary on the left.
>
>This will involve setting the numbering for each page (because it will count the pdf but in this case I want to make the page numbering match - ie the document will have two page 1s, two page 2s etc.
>
>Before I start on this rather tedious task, I'm throwing myself on the list's mercy for help...

I am not sure if the following will be worth your considering it, but,
on the basis of what I have been doing for something else, here is the
way I would approach the issue.

I would start reading the pdf and, at the point where I would want to
include a comment, I would cut the part of the pdf that I had just read
and make it into a pdf file which I would then include in a tex file
with a \includegraphics. I would then write my comments.
Then continue reading the pdf until etc.

But, while I think it can be done, I have never actually cut up a pdf
and, in any case, this may not result in the look that you want to
achieve. On the other hand, I have never had /this/ blank page problem.

So, just an idea.

Regards
--schremmer