[OS X TeX] My ! has disappeared in Times

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Apr 27 14:07:48 CEST 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 6:54 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 27 avr. 06 à 13:32, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
>> The same effect a "relative symlink" would also allow ... The
>> danger that symlinks to absolute pathnames get invalid when the
>> file system is re-organised, also exists with relative pathnames,
>> when they point to an external area that is re-organised, or when
>> they point to outside the area in which they reside that is moved
>> to somewhere else right now.
>
> Another possibility would be that absolute paths start at /
> Volumes/, even when the symlinked file or folder resides on the
> local hard drive (so that /sw, for example, would become /Volumes/
> Macintosh HD/sw). That wouldn't help moving or renaming files and
> folders, but would avoid erasing files and folders accidentally
> when erasing a symlink pointing erroneously to the local hard drive.
>
> No idea how to implement that, though.
>
> Bruno

Howdy,

Even that has problems in two cases that I can think of. I regularly
make a clone of my system to another drive and the symlinks would no
longer work if I booted from that drive. I can also rename my drive
which would break the symlinks too; in a sense the use of the /
Users/... is relative but to the boot drive rather than to the
directory structure.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)