[OS X TeX] question about fontspec/manually installing packages

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 27 04:09:33 CEST 2006

Hi Thomas,

On 26/04/2006, at 8:15 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2006, at 2:00 AM, "Ross Moore" wrote:
>
>> Use 'locate' to find all files having similar names.
>>
>> For example, (in a Terminal window):
>>
>> [glenlivet:] rossmoor% locate ps4pdf | grep ".sty"
>> /Users/rossmoor/Fermat/FERMAT-BOOK/MasterFiles/ps4pdf.sty
>> /Users/rossmoor/texmf/doc/ps4pdf/ps4pdf.sty
>> /Users/rossmoor/texmf/tex/latex/ps4pdf/ps4pdf-06h.sty
>> /Users/rossmoor/texmf/tex/latex/ps4pdf/ps4pdf.sty
>> /usr/TeX/texmf/tex/latex/ps4pdf/ps4pdf.sty

> If you want to find multiple instances of TeX files, packages,
> fonts etc., use the command "kpsewhere":
>
> tas at homer:~  % kpsewhere memoir.cls
> /Users/tas/Library/texmf/tex/latex/memoir.cls
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/memoir/memoir.cls

OK. I wasn't aware of this program, it must be quite new
-- thanks for the tip.

> This will give you a list of all files with this name; the first in
> the list is the one actually used by TeX. Of course, this only
> works if the file is in a location where "TeX can see it," so it
> has the added benefit to double-check if you installed files in the
> right directory.

Yes, it has this use.

However, 'locate' has uses that  kpsewhere  cannot handle.

For example, you can have different  texmf/  trees for different
projects. (e.g. by setting the TEXMFLOCAL environment variable).

Now  locate  --- provided the database has been updated ---
will find *all* instances,  whereas  kpsewhere  would find only
those files using the current values of  TEXMFMAIN , TEXMFLOCAL, etc.

> Thomas

Thanks for your comment, and others arising from it.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au