[OS X TeX] Re: endless .Mac sync conflicts

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Wed Apr 19 02:50:28 CEST 2006

What I do is make use of the .Mac option (under system
preferences/.mac/iDisk) to make my iDisk manually syncable.  Then, I
can use my iDisk even if I am not connected to the internet.  As I
see fit, I click on the sync symbol next to my iDisk icon in any
finder window, to update the remote iDisk info.  Advantages: 1)
speed: all access to the iDisk (except when syncing) is local. 2) you
can arrange to do this on multiple computers (although I wouldn't
recommend it), 3) you only connect directly to your .mac account when
you desire to; indeed, it serves as an archive in the case of local
crashes.  As I routinely move between my usual day to day high-speed
wireless world (university, home) and my at best noisy dial-up at my
cottage in the mountains, this ``work local---sync manually''
approach works best.  Indeed, my co-authors around the globe have
access to the same files and folders, so co-authoring works almost
automagically ;-)

On 18-Apr-06, at 6:00 PM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> I'm using TeXShop on a file on .Mac so that I can work on it from
> various locations. However, every 15 minutes or so, my machine pops up
> a window saying that there are conflicts between my computer's copy of
> .Mac  and the remote one. All files seem to be affected, .tex, .aux,
> etc. As I never refer directly to the remove files, but only use the
> one on the Finder, I don't understand why this happens.
>
> Any ideas?

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

-Dr. John R. Vokey