[OS X TeX] terminal and tex4ht

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 01:12:43 CEST 2006

On 4/17/06, Thomas Rike <tricycle222 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
> > On 4/17/06, Thomas Rike <tricycle222 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> ~ trike$ which tex4ht
> >> no tex4ht in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin
> >>

> > There are two questions:
> >
> > 1)  is tex4ht actually installed?
> >
> > Try to run in terminal
> >
> > % /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/tex4ht
> >

> > 2) Is the symbolic link
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/tex4ht ->
> > /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/tex4ht
> >
> > created. However, this is the secondary question. The prime
> > question is 1)
> >

> In answer to 1) The following line in the terminal produded an html
> document on the desktop.
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/tex4ht /Users/trike/
> Desktop/test1.dvi
>
> as well as the line calling the intel chip
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/tex4ht /Users/trike/
> Desktop/test2.dvi
>
> In answer to 2) I don't see any binaries named tex in /usr/local/bin
> Is there supposed to be a symbolic link there?

Yes, it is exactly what your "configure with CLI" option was supposed to do.
You can either 1) try again to configure with CLI or 2) to add
symbolic link(s) to your
/usr/local/bin folder

(in tcsh  %cd /usr/local/bin
% ln -s /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/tex4ht tex4ht
)

but there are plenty binaries in that directory

or 3) adding
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/
to your path (with the usual either opening new terminal window or command
%source .tcshrc (assuming that this is your shell configuration file)

I would go with 3)