[OS X TeX] Adding text to a large number of graphics, saving back to jpg

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 17 18:38:25 CEST 2006

On 17 Apr 2006, at 16:44, Joseph C. Slater wrote:

> This seems like something that should be scriptable via LaTeX (or
> off-topic, another method). I have 300 pictures that need
> acknowledgments (who paid for them) placed on them within the
> graphic. The same text goes in each. Is there a way to script this
> in latex, knowing full well that on occasion the text will end up
> in an undesirable location? Editing them one at a time seems rather
> primitive, and this is something I expect to need to repeat in the
> future. A watermark would be even better.

Graphics: vector or bitmapped? The solutions suggested by others
(ImageMagick, GraphicConverter, TIFFany3) are really fine for
bitmapped images, but less suitable for vector (line) art.

Changing some meta comment in the (eps) header is easy enough with
sed, but adding some string to the lower left corner of the (eps)
figure shouldn't be too hard. If the figures are in pdf format, I
think pdftk has some helpful options: http://www.pdfhacks.com/pdftk/.
One of the options allow you to place a background watermark on a pdf.

Maarten