[OS X TeX] Changing Tex parameters (retry)

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 14 01:47:35 CEST 2006

Christoph Schiller wrote:
> As a user of the Minion font package, I need to redump  the
> format in order to increase "words of font info" (tetex on Macosx),
> the line that appears in the statistics in the log file.
> What *exactly* do I have to do (at least for pdflatex)?
> I have a clean, new tex installation, made with iinstaller, on OSX 10.4,
> a few days ago.

I know it won't help you immediately, but this is one of the situations
where the advantages of a self-compiled tex (for example from Fink) are
visible: Just for testing, I went into the build directory of tetex,
changed in the file texk/web2c/tex.ch sup_font_mem_size from 2.000.000
to 8.000.000, and ran "make". Then I copied the resulting pdfetex
executable into /sw/bin, edited web2c/texmf.cnf to increase
font_mem_size to 5.000.000, and ran sudo fmtutil-sys --refresh. All this
took about 10 minutes (plus 10 minutes to find the right files and
places to change). I see now in the log file for example

  16420 words of font info for 38 fonts, out of 5000000 for 2000

--
Martin