[OS X TeX] two-page split equation

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 17:53:11 CEST 2006

I would like

    \begin{equation}
    \begin{split}
    …
    \intertext{}
    …
    \end{split}
    \end{equation}

to be able to start on one page and continue onto the next as I often
end up with a lot of empty space on the page where the split equation
should start but cannot as it does not have enough space to be there in
toto.

(Yes, I know, this would be a typographic horror but a least evil as,
given the students this is for, I need to give a lot of commented
intermediary steps.)

Companion 2ed doesn't say anything about this and I have a feeling that
this is not easy to have LaTeX do automatically.

However, even a manual adjustment after the whole thing is done would be
quite nice.

Very hopeful regards
--schremmer