[OS X TeX] engine writes in wrong directories

Rechtsanwalt Friedrich Vosberg vosberg at meinrechtsanwalt.com
Sat Apr 8 21:33:32 CEST 2006

Am 07.04.2006 um 23:27 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 07.04.2006 um 10:58 schrieb Rechtsanwalt Friedrich Vosberg:
>
>> If you want to try the misbehaviour save the file at your iDisk
>> and run the engine. The filepath informations will be wrong.
>
> How is this engine performing in a real directory on your local disk?

Correctly.

> Could you cd in Terminal onto your iDisk and invoke pwd in Mydir to
> see what it returns?

   AlBook:/Volumes/vatolin-1/Documents fv$ pwd
   /Volumes/vatolin-1/Documents

> pwd is the source for the first part of the filename. And sed,
> iconv, and awk do some filtering: so, what is 'which sed iconv awk'
> returning on iDisk?

   AlBook:/Volumes/vatolin-1/Documents fv$ which sed iconv awk
   /usr/bin/sed
   /usr/bin/iconv
   /usr/bin/awk

> Are you sure that your description is correct, that you can
> reproduce it (with another TeX file, in a different directory on
> your iDisk that does not contain previous versions of tmppath.tex
> or tmpfile.tex), and that you're not citing from another log or pdf
> file?

Yes I am sure that my description is correct, yes I could reproduce
this misbehaviour in different remote directories of network SMB file
servers and different directories on my iDisk.

> Or is your watch defective? (The first of April was last weekend.
> And your report isn't more likely today.)

No. My watch works correctly, it's no joke.

> The most likely cause is that pdflatex is *not* writing to neither
> tmppath.tex nor to tmpfile.tex, because you do not invoke it with -
> shell-escape! So elder versions of both files are re-used, and they
> can have some strange contents ... To avoid this, you should
> definitely add '-shell-escape' to the pdflatex invocations, and you
> should add an 'rm tmppath.tex tmpfile.tex' as last line to your
> engine to prevent this "misbehaviour."

Yes! Thanks a lot! On my iDisk the engine now works properly. And the
functionality on SMB servers I'll check on Tuesday.

Thank you and kind regards. Friedrich

--
Rechtsanwalt Friedrich Vosberg
Alt-Oetzsch 4, 04416 Markkleeberg