[OS X TeX] Newbie fuzzy pdf issues

Karl Merkley karl at elemtech.com
Wed Sep 28 20:35:35 CEST 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2005, at 12:54 PM, Karl Merkley wrote:
>

>> I just downloaded and installed TexShop and (I think) teTeX using
>> Gerben Wierda's i-Installer.  Everything went quite smoothly and the
>> examples work.  However, when I look at the resulting pdf's the text
>> looks fuzzy.  It prints well but the preview just looks bad.   I have
>> EPS images so I am using the latex-ghostscript option.  I saw that
>> the digest covers some issues with OS X 10.4 but I am using Mac OS X
>> 10.3.9.  I have seen results like this when the correct fonts were
>> not being used.  I did install the TrueType fonts but I don't know
>> that they are being used.
>>
>>   TIA,
>>      Karl
>>

> Howdy,
>
> What packages did you install? Are you using T1 encoding? What
> TrueType fonts are you talking about? Where are they installed? More
> than likely the system is defaulting to bitmapped fonts because it
> can't find the Postscript or TrueType fonts.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Correction I installed the FreeType 2 which I (perhaps incorrectly)
assumed was the font set.  I followed the instructions for installing
from http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/installing.html and installed
each item in the specified order.  The following is the set of packages
that were installed.

     *  FreeType 2
     * libwmf
     * Ghostscript 8
     * ImageMagick
     * FontForge
     * TeX

Here's where the newbie part shows up.  T1 encoding?!?  What's that?
The only place in TexShop that I see something related to encoding has
reference to using Unicode fonts.

   Karl