[OS X TeX] epstopdf

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Wed Sep 28 17:55:47 CEST 2005

On 28 Sep 2005, at 3:37, Chris Goedde wrote:

> A couple weeks ago, Luis Sequeira wrote:
>

>> Like a previous poster has said, it is better to handle (b) at
>> shell level.
>> To convert all eps files below a given directory, you may do the
>> following:
>> 1) Open Terminal and cd to the appropriate directory
>> 2) type the following command:
>>         find . -name '*.eps' -exec epstopdf {} \;
>>

> This  fails for me if the path contains spaces, which all my
> (relevant) paths do. From the command line, I've tried every
> combination I can think of: escaping the spaces with \, and using
> single and double quotes around the path. But epstopdf always
> chokes. (It might be gs that is actually choking.) Is it really
> impossible to use epstopdf to batch convert eps to pdf when the
> path names contain spaces? I think I can work around this (by using
> cd), but I'm curious if I really have to.

1. Open your copy of epstopdf with a text editor -- I have it in /usr/
local/bin but perhaps your copy is elsewhere;

2. Replace the line 208

           "-sOutputFile=$OutputFilename - -c quit";

with

           "-sOutputFile=\"$OutputFilename\" - -c quit";

3. Save the file with a new name, for example, e2p in a directory
which is in $PATH;

4. Make e2p executable.

Then you can convert all eps files in the current directory by the
following Terminal command:

for i in *.eps; do e2p "$i"; done

whether they contain space(s) in file name or not.

Usually I don't use a image file. So I don't know if a pdf file
containing space in file name is usable in LaTeX.

On 28 Sep 2005, at 16:10, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Calling idiosyncratic the use of spaces in file names, and more
> generally of non-alphanumeric characters, strikes me as slightly
> provocative.

It should be possible to modify TeX/LaTeX so that it understands file
names in UTF-8. Actually pTeX/pLaTeX -- Japanese localised TeX/LaTeX
-- distributed by one of the three Japanese OS X TeX distributors
does accept files names in UTF-8. I don't know how he achieved it
though I did a beta testing, though ;-)
<http://minakanusi.ns.musashi-tech.ac.jp/~inoue/Pages/TeX/
input.filename.html> (in Japanese)

Kino