[OS X TeX] epstopdf

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Wed Sep 28 17:20:09 CEST 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 7:03 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> The unix conventions were created out of necessity or out of
> convenience and most, if not all, software that uses these conventions
> is free. When the Mac became a unix machine and tetex and friends were
> ported to OS X by the unselfish work and devotion of people like
> Thomas Esser, Gerben Wierda, Richard Koch, Sebastian Rahtz to name
> only a few, these conventions were kept at least at the shell script's
> level.
>
> Calling these people lazy because the restrictions do not suit your
> idiosyncratic naming  habits strikes me as slightly ungrateful.

I don't really want to extend this, and Bruno did a nice job of
speaking up for me, but I would like to add a couple things. This will
be my last message on this, I promise.

I shouldn't have used the word lazy, but words like foolish and
idiosyncratic are more than a little patronizing, and that's what I was
responding to. I was a bit intemperate and I apologize for that. I've
been using TeX for over 20 years, mostly on unix machines, and I am
EXTREMELY grateful to everyone who built this fabulous software.

One the other hand, there have been well-established, widely used
methods in unix for dealing with spaces in names for a long, long time,
and I was surprised, given the overall quality of TeX and friends, that
a shell script that shipped with TeX didn't handle paths with spaces in
them properly. If the developers think that my choices are foolish,
then this won't change. Of course, (and I say this seriously, not
sarcastically) I could teach myself perl and re-write epstopdf.

On the third hand, until a few years ago, TeX (at least TeX built on
web2c on unix) didn't properly handle files with `.' in the name. E.g.,
it compiled The.File.tex into The.dvi, rather than The.File.dvi. This
was (properly) seen as a bug, and fixed. I would hope that spaces in
names (and certainly paths) would be treated the same way.

Chris