[OS X TeX] Copying gwTeX

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Tue Sep 27 11:04:46 CEST 2005

>AJ> To be more exact, in general the tar command should be:

>AJ> tar cfz - ./local | ssh machine 'cd <target dir>; tar xpfz -'

>AJ> note the ``p'' in the second tar preserves the owner and group information
>AJ> along with the file modes, which might be critical depending on who owns
>AJ> the files.  Not including it has bitten be in the past.  One additional
>AJ> problem is that both machines need to have the same user owner and group
>AJ> id's.

Man tar says about the extract operation:
    The owner, modification time, and file permissions are restored, if
    possible.
Group is also restored although this isn't explicitely stated. So I
think -p doesn't add anything. But it shouldn't harm either.

But when copying system files, like /usr/local, the extract operation
should run as root, otherwise the owner is not restored. One way to do this
is to use sudo at the ssh side.

tar cfz - ./local | ssh machine 'cd <target dir>; sudo tar xpfz -'
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>