[OS X TeX] [OT] Manuscript Revision Management etc.

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 23:49:09 CEST 2005

Ross,

Thanks for the great information on eps figures vs PDF figures. That's
tremendoulsly helpful.

The following is  the reply I got from the journal on acceptance of
figures in PDF.

JT

We have received your question about PDF files for figures.
We do not accept PDF files for figures.  We only accept PostScript
files for figures.

    Please see the guidelines provided below for PostScript figures.

                    SUBMISSION OF POSTSCRIPT FIGURES

  Each PostScript figure should be in a separate file, clearly labeled as to
  figure number and title-author of parent manuscript.  Such labels should
  appear in the message's subject line and/or as a comment line near the
  beginning of the PostScript code.  It is most helpful if the labels also
  appear on the PostScript figure itself, outside the image area.

  Encapsulated PostScript figures (with ``BoundingBox'') have the benefit
  that they allow an author to suggest final journal sizing, and to
  preview the legibility of their selected line weight and lettering and
  data-symbol size.

  Please make sure the figure fits on a standard 8 1/2 x 11-inch page.  In
  particular, check that the ``BoundingBox'' (if any) is such that the figure
  prints completely.

  PostScript files should be self-contained.  The files should print correctly
  when sent by themselves to our PostScript printer.  All necessary prolog
  code should be included in the file.  No fonts other than the 35 standard
  ones will be available.  Please check all files by sending them to a Post-
  Script printer that has not had any fonts or scripts downloaded to it.

  These files have the potential to be very large; it is recommended that they
  be delivered as compressed files.  For delivery via electronic mail, the
  binary compressed files need to be sent as MIME attachments or uuencoded
  enclosures.  Bundling the files first, e.g., with UNIX's tar utility,
  allows for convenient processing at the Editorial Office.

  Our local system supports the following macro files for loading Encapsulated
  PostScript figures into electronic-submission text files:  psfig, epsf.
  They can be activated for use by placing, e.g., \input{psfig} in the front
  matter of the file.

  Please preprocess a TeX-coded ``picture'' and submit it instead as a
  PostScript file of a captioned figure or an uncaptioned diagram-in-text
  In situations requiring ``in-line'' graphic symbols, e.g., as part of a
  displayed equation, please submit the ENTIRE expression as a PostScript
  image.

  At this time, we can process PostScript-formatted composite color figures
  for Editorial use ONLY.  These will be used for the editorial-review
  processing of your article.  If it is your intent that we use the color
  figure(s) for print publication, hard-copy ``originals'' (slides, prints)
  are still needed for proper and faithful color separation by our printer.

  If the transmission and processing of the PostScript figures is successful,
they will be considered as ``original'' figures and it will NOT be necessary
to mail copies to the Editorial Office.  If we are NOT successful in printing
the PostScript figures, you will be sent an electronic-mail message requesting
that hard-copy figures be forwarded by FAX, while the ``originals'' are sent
by conventional or overnight mail.