[OS X TeX] Re: PDF layout that fits PowerBook Screen

Nathan Dunfield dunfield at caltech.edu
Sun Sep 25 02:57:08 CEST 2005

Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:
> A while ago on this mailing list, someone hinted that there's a
> program, Tofu, to convert the layout of a document so each page would
> fit the screen like the PowerBook better than the conventional Letter
> size layout.
> (2) Is it possible to compile my own locally generated PDF's (from
> LaTeX) so it would fit the screen of the PowerBook?

I do this for my own documents, and I find that it really does make
things more convenient.  I don't use TeXShop, but rather XEmacs and
xdvi, but the same technique should work there as well.  Basically, I
just adjust the margins and printed area from within LaTeX, and then
tell xdvi to use a nonstandard paper size.  To switch back and forth
between the version for the screen and the version for printing, I just
have an \if variable which I set or unset as appropriate.  On my
Titanium 15", I find the following works well:

----
% at top of file

\newif\iflaptop
\laptoptrue

%...\begin{document}, etc.

\iflaptop % Set small page size
\setlength{\topmargin}{0.1cm}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0.4cm}
\setlength{\evensidemargin}{0.4cm}
\setlength{\textwidth}{15.5cm}
\setlength{\textheight}{18.2cm}

\else % default behavior for printing
\usepackage{fullpage}
\fi

----

Then I use the command:

xdvi.bin -expert  -s 6 -xoffset 0in -yoffset 0in -geometry 660x808
-paper 16.5x20cm -gamma 1.1

You can see the results at

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~dunfield/temp/texscreen.png

	Best,