[OS X TeX] Copying gwTeX

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Sun Sep 25 02:24:25 CEST 2005

On Sep 24, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 25.09.2005 um 01:11 schrieb Axel E. Retif:
>
>> If so, would it be right sudo cp -R -L -p local?
>>

> Without -L it would be correct. Provided you left the target away
> on purpose. And provided you misspelled the source too on purpose
> (it's rather texmf.gwtex, or .).

I was thinking of copying the whole local (in /usr) directory, as I
only have GW packages there.

> IMO it's more appropriate to copy the fattened i-Packages to a
> place on the laptop, or make them available for the laptop over the
> network or from CD-RW for a real installation. Then you teach i-
> Installer on the laptop to take the i-Packages from this 'local'
> reservoir, the directory where to save the data fetched from the
> sites.

Well, yes, but I'm not lazy here ---the thing is that I'm really
satisfied with the way things are in my desktop.

> When you copy over the whole tree it can happen that some (extra)
> files on the (older) target are not substituted -- because there's
> no pendant, no counterpart, for them in the newer release. The
> installation step removes them first ...

I was planning to remove the whole local directory first in my laptop.

> Or do you think of copying the whole teTeX?! Then you should take
> care of the user id of the one who installed the software. The same
> user with the same id should exist on the laptop too.

It's exactly the same user id in both.

Wouldn't -L be necessary to keep symbolic links in gwTeX distribution?

Thank you very much.

Axel