[OS X TeX] A Wintel mate to TeXShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Sep 23 11:20:23 CEST 2005

Le 23 sept. 05 à 10:59, Luis Sequeira a écrit :

> Why don't you just give it a try?
>
> MikTeX is very easy to install and free.
> You can go with a free editor/frontend such as TeXniccenter or
> WinShell.
> Try it out and see if it works. It is not a mac, but you still can
> do some work.
> You can carry your Magnum Opus back and forth on a pen drive, for
> example.
> You do keep backups (don't you?), so there is nothing to lose.

My colleagues on Windows use MikTeX (for the TeX installation) and
either WinEdt or TeXnicCenter (as editor and more generally GUI front-
end to TeX).

WinEdt is generally preferred. Beware though: AFAIK it's shareware,
and hence as a user you're supposed to pay a fee.

Regarding TeXniCenter, the link on Joe's page <http://www.esm.psu.edu/
mac-tex/TeXonWindows.html> seems to have expired. Use <http://
www.texniccenter.org/> instead.

As to moving things between Macs and PCs, my colleagues generally use
a USB key (on the Mac, this requires to format it in Disk Utility in
MS-DOS format).