[OS X TeX] Re: A Textures Query

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Sep 16 22:18:56 CEST 2005

Le 16 sept. 05 à 11:15, Stephen Moye a écrit :

> Mind you, the way I read the original post, the graphics were
> embedded in the Textures document, meaning, I presume, that the
> original graphics were no longer available. Is this true? If so,
> then about the only thing you can do is to print the Textures file
> to a PostScript file and produce a PDF from that. Is the Textures
> Scrapbook being used? Certainly it would be better to start with
> the original illustrations and work with those if this is possible.
> Then again, what is actually stored in the Textures file resource
> fork: the contents of the graphic itself, and/or a screen/pict
> preview? If only the latter then there are problems...

Graphics were embedded in a Textures document as PICT resources.
Textures had the ability to import external EPS and PICT files (it
had specific \special's for this, similar -- in functionality, not
syntax -- to the OzTeX \special's), but most hardcore Mac users
preferred to work the way Textures was originally designed to work:
use the clipboard to paste pictures in the Textures picture window,
one such window per document, and then call these pictures in the TeX
input using a dedicated \special.

Aside: each Textures document was "made of" several windows: an Input
window containing the equivalent of the .tex file (stored in the data
fork of the Textures file); a Typeset window containing the
equivalent of the .dvi file (stored as a collection of *DVI resources
-- one per page -- in the Textures file); and a Pictures window
containing the pasted pictures (the pictures were stored as a
collection of PICT resources -- one per picture -- in the Textures
file).

This way of functioning was clearly designed at the time of Mac OS 6
or before, when pictures were mostly bitmaps, with no colour, of
small size, and when interoperability between different platforms was
not considered.

For an example, see <http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.Public/Picture-
example.png> (with also a bit of nostalgia about the 1986 Finder).